The Atlas Building is located within The Downtown Charleston Historic District. This district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. The contributing structures within the district are in the architectural style of Late Victorian and Late 19th and 20th Century Revival. Upon opening in 1941, the Atlas Building, designed by Charleston-based Tucker and Silling, was at the cutting edge of modern architectural & structural design with an overall design focus on sustainability through innovative techniques which improved building performance, flexibility and occupant comfort. At the time of completion, it was viewed as the most elaborate and up-to-date public buildings in the city of Charleston. The Charleston Daily Mail referred to the Atlas Building as "Another monument to the Kanawha valley's industrial and commercial expansion, the 8-story office building incorporates structural features which make it one of the most modern office buildings in the entire Middle West and South". At the time of it's construction, it provided 45,000 sf of office space to a commercial real estate market which was in high demand.
The Atlas Building: History
See below for some interesting articles on the original Atlas Building construction (make sure to scroll down)!
Help us tell the history of the Atlas building!
Whether it's a memory, photo, or story, use the below to help us keep the history of the Atlas Building alive and well for future generations to come.
Nothing private - all submissions will be compiled and published online at a later date